Profile 20 Fabulous Female - Heneka Watkis-Porter

I found Mrs. Heneka Watkis-Porter from a social media search for Caribbean Female Leaders.  This vivacious Jamaican entrepreneur and innovator is nothing short of bold, courageous and so approachable.  She encouraged me to reach out and she kept to her word and followed up.  Read about this woman who is the CEO of fashion house PATWA Apparel, podcast host of The Entrepreneurial You, and thought leader.

1.     Describe yourself in no more than three sentences, one if it is possible.
I’m a motivator whose mission is ‘life transformation through inspiration.

2.     Who or What is your greatest motivation?   Or share your ‘why’ that keeps you going.
I’m motivated by the experiences I’ve had as a child. Having experienced feelings of low self-esteem, lack of confidence and abuse, that gave me the impetus to want to be great. I’m passionate about living on purpose, making an impact on the lives of others.

3.     Share with us what your business is about?
Patwa Culcha International, the company that owns Patwa Apparel, is the go-to company to commemorate and celebrate Jamaica heritage worldwide. This is accomplished by providing products and services that inspire Jamaican pride. See patwaapparel.com 
Patwa Culcha International Logo

My personal brand is about ‘life transformation through inspiration.’ This brand creates product and services to enable others to realize their full potential, level-up and get motivated and inspired. These include The Entrepreneurial You podcast, books, events and speaking engagements (henekawatkisporter.com)

4.     What is the main factor that got you involved or led you into business/ entrepreneurship?
I am a free-spirited person. I desire freedom to do what I want when I want. I remember wanting to volunteer my time to help others, travel the world and creating a future for myself and family that I could be proud of. I also felt that I wasn’t being true to my core as I never enjoyed going to a 9 – 5 although I was grateful for the fact that I had one. Having full-time employment would never give me that opportunity.

5.     How critical is creativity in the running of your business?Innovate or die. I learnt that with my fashion business, Patwa Apparel. Although the idea to have English translations placed along with the Patwa expressions is a novel one, lagging too far behind with design trends had dire consequences.


6.     Do you think that your experience is different in any way than a male in the same type of business? Please explain.

I think in general men get more opportunities than women but I can’t honestly say that I have been the subject of gender discrimination. If it happens I probably haven’t recognized it as such. I speak from both a fashion standpoint and that of digital media.

7.     What is your number 1 business principle?
A ladies T-shirt from Patwa Apparel
People do business with those they know, like and trust. Be open and honest at all times. Your character has more weight than we often realize. I tend to treat people in business the way I want to be treated, with open and honest communication.
Men's T-shirt from Patwa Apparel

8.     List three things you just can’t go without?

Truth be told, there is hardly anything I can’t do without as I try not to get too attached to things. Notwithstanding, I feel naked without my sun shades. I must have a notepad to write things down as thoughts occur to me and I definitely need the internet to work from anywhere.

9.     What is the hardest lesson learnt in business so far?
Failure is not fatal. I’ve failed many times in many ways. Truth is though, I don’t really call them failure but life lessons.  Failure is fuel for your vision. It gives me the impetus to keep going. When the cash flow is non-existent, I have no choice but to push for the situation to change.

10.   Is there any advice you would like to share with other young women hoping to start or just starting out in business?
I’d like to leave 3 important lessons:

A. Enjoy the journey. Not every day things will work out the way you want them to but you must appreciate it as part of the process in getting to your destination. In this moment, be thankful for what you do have and not fuss about the things you don’t want.
B. Trust the process. Trust that everything is happening for your good and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You must be patient in getting to the end.
C. Stay in your lane. Don’t give too much attention to what others are doing. Keep focused on your prize, stay in your lane where the traffic is non-existent.

11.     Bonus Question: “What, in your opinion, is the best thing about being female?”
The sensitivity that we seem to have. We are natural born caregivers and nurturers and we take that into our decision-making process. Of course, we are also more visually appealing (lol).

Contact Details:

Facebook  Heneka Watkis-Porter
Instagram Heneka Watkis-Porter
Address PO Box 7484 Greater Portmore, St. Catherine, Jamaica
Phone Contact  876-849-2571 876-336-8130 
Email  heneka@patwaapparel.com; henekawatkisporter@gmail.com 
Websites  http://www.patwaapparel.com; http://www.henekawatkisporter.com 
Skype Heneka Watkis-Porter



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profile 15 Fabulous Female - Mrs. Elene Charles Jones, Business Manager/Certified Travel Agent

Profile 16 Fabulous Female - Miss Ophelia Myall of cupidandi.com

Profile 26 Fabulous Female - Melinda Belle, Caribbean Lifestyle Brand Star