Profile 8: Michelle Lee, Female Tailor and Designer

Trinidadian fashionista, designer, tailor, image consultant Mrs. Michelle Lee of My Art by Michelle Lee is one woman you need in your life...well, at least your closet.

Get some insight on who and why she is who she is today as you read on...

1.  Describe yourself in no more than three sentences, one if it is possible.
I don't think limits.

2.  Share with us what your business is about?
I run a clothing studio where I construct, from scratch, career clothing for men and women no matter their size or structure.


3.  What is the main factor that got you involved or led you into business/entrepreneurship?
I was inspired by the love I have for my mom to get into this business. When I was a young girl I would hear my mother's many complaints and see the displeasure in her face when she would go to collect her clothes from the many seamstresses she tried. I told her one day on our way home from collecting another set of poorly done sewing that I would learn this trade and she will no longer have to be disappointed when she collects her clothing. The rest is history.

4.  What is your number 1 business principle? 
My no.1 business principle is professionalism & quality work... quality in workmanship and fit.
5.  How critical is creativity in the running of your business?Creativity is very necessary. Career Suits are no longer simple, pastel clothing but they can be bold and classy not forgetting suits are not about making a positive statement.
                                      
6.  What is the hardest lesson learnt in business so far?
Going to a higher level may sometimes demand taking some serious risks.

7.   Do you think that your experience is in any way different than a male in the same type of business? Please explain.I think so.  It's the initial responses.  There have been times a new male client would come to the studio and realize that the tailor is a female....he may look at me in disbelief, ask if I'm the one he was referred to and if I did the work he saw. They sometimes blush all through the time of taking their measurements. Most of the time I'm laughing in my mind... some guys just can't perceive a female tailor producing a well done suit. Male tailors do not have to face that I'm sure.
Some of Michelle's Menswear designs.

8.  List three things you just can’t go without?

Ohhh! There are so many....shoes, handbags and can I say hussie's [sic] company?
9.  Who or What is your greatest motivation?I'm self motivated firstly I think, even though I get a lot of encouragement from my husband, family and friends...I do push myself a lot.
Michelle's greatest supporter - her husband. 

10.  Is there any advice you would like to share to other young women hoping to start or just starting out in business?
The only thing standing between where you are and where you want to be is you...I believe God has already given to us all that we need to be the best we can be.



Bonus Question: “What, in your opinion, is the best thing about being female?”Hummmm..besides using shoes and matching handbags, I think its being able to express my emotional side freely and opening with pride...its being able to love me despite my bust and waist size...there's a lot of people (sadly, females included) who can't do that.

Contact Info: Facebook - Michelle Lee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profile 15 Fabulous Female - Mrs. Elene Charles Jones, Business Manager/Certified Travel Agent

Profile 26 Fabulous Female - Melinda Belle, Caribbean Lifestyle Brand Star

Profile 24 Fabulous Female - Victoria, Business Owner and Strategist