Profile 16 Fabulous Female - Miss Ophelia Myall of cupidandi.com

This resilient woman has come out smelling like roses from a life situation that would have buried a lesser person in despair.  She is brave and strong and Women of Business, Caribbean is honoured to feature this week's Fabulous Female - Miss Ophelia Myall out of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

1. Describe yourself in no more than three sentences, one if it is possible.I am a God-fearing woman with a love for humanity and one who truly enjoys helping others while on a personal journey to fulfill my purpose on this earth.

2. Who or What is your greatest motivation?My greatest motivation, after God, is my daughter Tzi Myall.




3. Share with us what your business is about?I first started on the 18th of April 2016 (I did other things that failed before this) with a blog on the website Cupidandi.com where I write about a broad range of issues (beauty, lifestyle, stress, coping, relationship, following your dreams, changing habit, etc.) about my personal experiences as well as issues affecting people on a daily basis. Most of what I do focus on self-development; trying to help others get past their current circumstances and create something for themselves instead of remaining victims of their circumstances.

I also have recorded videos using my tablet; in these, I discuss different issues geared at self-development similar to the blogs and other topics such as bullying etc. The videos and resources on my blog are free, but I generate a small income from the google ads that are on my site.

Additionally, I am a contributing author for elearningindustry.com where I share experiences about my online student experiences while pursuing my master’s degree at Walden University.

I am currently the author of a few books, but the two I market most is “A Chick Called Victor.” This a children’s book for children from Kindergarten to grade 4 – ages 4+ to 10 years old. However, other children younger or older can read or have it read to them. This book tells a story of three children and a chick who was ill and was rescued by the children. The book was inspired by a true childhood story and my daughter Tzi Myall who inspired me to make it into a book.

“Uncoil: Lost In The Moment” is a small travel adventure book that is based in the Caribbean and tells of my desperation to find a job and travelling to St. Thomas on a journey to fulfill the requirements for a potential job offer. I was pretty stressed but found myself caught in a series of events that helped me realized that life was best when we learn to live in the moment.

Cupidandi.com logo


4. What is the main factor that got you involved or led you into business/ entrepreneurship?
 
Being unemployed. I am a nurse by profession. I also have a master’s of science in nursing with a focus on education. However, during the latter part of completing this degree, I lost my job because I had to leave to do my internship. After completing the degree in March of 2015, I could not find a job in the field of education or for other areas I applied for. I am a single mother with a son, who was in his last year of college at the time, and a daughter who was just in grade 2; I needed money to support them. I thought that if no one wanted me then I had to find an alternative and this is what led me to where I am now, almost three years later.

5. How critical is creativity in the running of your business? 
Very critical. When I was starting out I had no knowledge except for my love of writing. But, one can have all the love for something and never get anywhere if they do not learn how to put that talent out there for others to see. You have to constantly look for ways to improve and the only way to do so is looking at what others are doing in the business and find your unique version. For example, with writing the book “A Chick Called Victor” I did not know how to do the illustrations and how to get these fitted into the book itself. However, I searched for information about children’s books and made my unique version. I also had to constantly edit the book to go with the illustrations without changing the main story I wanted to tell.
Copy of her children's book.

6. Do you think that your experience is different in any way than a male in the same type of business? Please explain.  
In a sense, yes. In an online business environment, there are many technical challenges to overcome and having been science-oriented than business-oriented, I found it challenging to manoeuvre things such as managing/hosting my own website, doing my videos, and designing my own book. I think these technical things are mostly done by men. In a few instances, I have had men critique my site (when I was just learning the process) and their feedback was based on their own abilities making me feel less fitted for what I wanted to do.

7. What is your number 1 business principle? 
In order to receive, you must first give freely. Business is not just about what you can get from your customers, but rather what you can give them, that is, how much value you can give in your products and services.

8. List three things you just can’t go without?These are my three most important; Praying, meaningful connections with others, and a good diet.

9. What is the hardest lesson learnt in business so far?That when starting out on a venture you are going to feel alone; almost everyone, if not everyone, is not going to believe in what you do, but you’ll have to develop the courage to pursue your dreams anyway. It is my duty as the business person to give people something to believe in.

10. Is there any advice you would like to share with other young women hoping to start or just starting out in business?You have to start somewhere; do not wait for the ideal circumstances because that circumstance will never present itself. Whatever you are thinking about doing just get started and do not worry that you do not know everything. As you go along, you will slowly develop the curiosity about the things you need to know. Keep reading and learning from others in similar or even different services as a way of broadening your knowledge.

11. Bonus Question: “What, in your opinion, is the best thing about being female?”The best thing about being female is that I have a softer side and the ability to nurture others and make people feel comfortable around me (enough to help them open up about their challenges and their inner thoughts).


Contact information
Website        - cupidandi.com
Facebook     - https://www.facebook.com/TaibellePositiveEnergyAlways/ 
You Tube      - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS_SOEXFNOgc3WEYgfYFWXQ

Comments

  1. Thank you Mrs. Kesha George taking the time to interview and publish this beautiful article for me. I truly appreciate and wish you all the best in your goal of helping to promote the work of women like myself. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile 15 Fabulous Female - Mrs. Elene Charles Jones, Business Manager/Certified Travel Agent

Profile 26 Fabulous Female - Melinda Belle, Caribbean Lifestyle Brand Star